HMRC have updated and created a new form for employees to claim Income Tax relief for employment expenses and this form is called the P87.This form is therefore available to claim tax relief on money an employee has spent on things like work uniform and clothing, tools, business travel, professional fees and subscriptions.

The advantage of this method is it allows a single return for all active employments and multiple tax years and can be returned and created on-line through an individual’s personal tax account or by posy if required.

Information and detail you’ll need to make a claim

Claiming more than the flat rate expense:

You’ll need to have records and receipts. If your employer pays you any of the costs, deduct this from the allowable rate.

Using your own vehicle for work:

You’ll need to have records of your business mileage, including:

  • locations of your journeys
  • distances you’ve travelled
  • the total amount of mileage allowance payments you’ve had

Using a company vehicle for work:

You’ll need a summary of your calculation with any claim for relief on what you’ve spent.

Hotel and meal expenses:

You’ll need your receipts.

Details and the new procedure and form can be found here:

"When setting up a Shared Service Centre, The Learn Centre played a key role in our award winning Payroll Academy, delivering a blended learning experience combining both classroom based training and an e-learning solution. The course delivery, the training materials and overall learning experience was excellent."

Michael Stevenson
Payroll Manager at Queen's University Belfast

View on Linkedin

Have a question?

Leave us your details or call us on 01798 861111

Ensure you're up to date and compliant

Are you happy for us to email you from time to time with payroll related information, legislation and updates?

Yes please, keep me up to date