Due to the pandemic, the Home Office introduced easements to the Right to Work checks required which included the ability to complete via video call rather than face to face which was the normal requirement. The end date for the temporary adjusted checks has now been deferred again to the 5th of April 2022 (inclusive). The decision to defer the date was made following the positive feedback received by The Home Office about the ability to conduct checks remotely. This has also initiated a review of the availability of specialist technology to support a system of digital right to work checks in the future. The intention is to introduce a new digital solution to include many who are unable to use the Home Office online checking service, including UK and Irish citizens. This will enable checks to continue to be conducted remotely but with enhanced security.
Deferring the end date of the adjusted checks to 5 April 2022 ensures the Right to Work Scheme continues to operate in a manner which supports employers, whilst The Home Office look to implement a long-term, post-pandemic solution.
More details and the current requirements can be found here:
Latest Agent Update
HMRC has released its latest Agent Update – issue 87 to support business. It incorporates technical updates and reminders for developments and changes to legislation and allowances relating to UK tax but is of interest to anyone in the payroll industry. This latest update includes:
Coronavirus(COVID-19) articles giving information on:
- updated guidance
- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- further support on COVID-19 schemes
The UK Transition
- EU Settlement Scheme — Late Applications
- COVID-19 and Social Security Coordination with EU
- Closure of CHIEF customs system
- Basis Period Reform Consultation
- Spotlight on Unfunded Pension Arrangements
- Off-payroll (IR35) Contracted Out Services
- VAT Reverse Charge
- The Trust Registration Service
- Does Inheritance Tax need to be paid on death?
Making Tax Digital
- Making Tax Digital updates
The full update can be found here: